Translate to Korean Translate to Spanish
History

Originally named "Los Angeles, Catholic Girls' High School", Bishop Conaty Memorial High School was opened in September, 1923 during the episcopate of Archbishop John J. Cantwell. It was the first diocesan high school built to serve the needs of young Catholic women throughout the Los Angeles area and was erected in memory of his predecessor, Bishop Thomas Conaty. Accredited by the University of California in 1923 the school graduated well over 9,000 students by the time of its Golden Anniversary in 1973. Its alumnae serve in myriad of professions and vocations all over the world.

Our Lady of Loretto High School, located at 227 North Lake Street, was opened in September, 1949 during the episcopate of Cardinal James Francis Mclntyre. Cardinal Mclntyre had just begun a building campaign for Catholic High School throughout the Archdiocese and Our Lady of Loretto was the first school to be opened during this campaign. During its forty year history, the school offered a curriculum of studies that challenged the young women to meet their educational goals and to reach their fullest potential.

Over the years, the strengths, Christian mission and traditions of both school developed, preparing young women for their roles in the world.

A changing community and changing times necessitated the merging of the two schools to enable the Archdiocese to preserve the mission it began in 1923 and strengthened in 1949. Our Lady of Loretto-Bishop Conaty High School was created in 1989. In July, 1994 the name was officially reversed to Bishop Conaty- Our Lady of Loretto High School.