Our Lady of Loretto High School, located at 227 North Lake Street, was opened in September, 1949 during the episcopate of Cardinal James Francis Mclntyre. Cardinal Mclntyre had just begun a building campaign for Catholic High School throughout the Archdiocese and Our Lady of Loretto was the first school to be opened during this campaign. During its forty year history, the school offered a curriculum of studies that challenged the young women to meet their educational goals and to reach their fullest potential.
Over the years, the strengths, Christian mission and traditions of both school developed, preparing young women for their roles in the world.
A changing community and changing times necessitated the merging of the two schools to enable the Archdiocese to preserve the mission it began in 1923 and strengthened in 1949. Our Lady of Loretto-Bishop Conaty High School was created in 1989. In July, 1994 the name was officially reversed to Bishop Conaty- Our Lady of Loretto High School.